As a mother, it is always in your best interest to ensure the safety of your child. That is why you buy the best feeding bottle and the best clothes in the market. However, parents sometimes underestimate the importance of buying the best diaper rash creams for their children. As a result, the children end up with an irritated skin that makes them uncomfortable.
This article will help you know the importance of a diaper rash cream and, to add sugar to honey, you will also know which is best for your child. This way, your child will have a comfortable sleep, and this will ensure that you too have a comfortable sleep.
We created this product FAQ section to better enlighten you on the best diaper rash creams in the market. We have tried to answer most of the popular questions asked about these creams. This will make it easier for you to know what you should look out for in deciding which the best diaper rash cream to buy.
1. What Is a Diaper Rash Cream?
A diaper rash cream is a cream that is used to either prevent rushes in a baby’s genital area or to treat rashes.
2. How Does It Work?
The best diaper rash cream works by ensuring that your baby’s skin is protected by ensuring that the area in contact with the diaper is dry. As a result, this reduces the chances of your baby suffering from rashes.
3. What Causes Diaper Rash?
Though there are many causes of diaper rash; we will only concentrate on the main causes;
Though diapers are designed to keep your baby moist free, it is never a 100% dry. This creates an internal atmosphere that is warm and moist, and as a result, baby rush occurs.
The reason stool is dangerous is that once it gets in contact with urine, a chemical reaction occurs that results in ammonia. Ammonia causes skin irritation, hence the rashes.
What many diaper companies never tell you is that their diapers are never 100% chemical free and that the dyes and perfumes used can cause diaper rash. It is therefore prudent that you change to a natural diaper that is dye-free to protect your child.
Detergents on Cloth Diapers
The best detergents are those without perfumes or dyes.
4. Where Can You Buy It?
Our top ten best diaper rash creams can be bought on Amazon.
5. What Should I Consider When Buying the Best Diaper Rash Cream?
There are a lot of factors one should consider when buying the best diaper rash cream in the market. Some of these factors are;
Type of Rash
This is the main factor to consider. Since children will always react differently, each case is unique. For example, if your child has a yeast rash, then it only makes sense for you to get an antifungal cream. If the irritation is a normal irritation, then a traditional cream is best.
To be safe, only use perfumed diapers if your child does not react to them. Some ingredients to look out for include sunflower oil, coconut oil, Lanolin, and Beeswax.
How We Reviewed
Our top 10 best diaper rash creams were reviewed based on their Features, pros, cons, price and where to buy. To ensure we gave you an unbiased best of list, we not only tested hundreds of products in the market, but we also invested our time and effort in this best-of list. We are therefore satisfied that these products meet our standards in terms of safety and reliability.
Overall Price Range Of This Product (And Similar Products)
The overall price range of these products is around $ to $$$. Though higher priced products incorporate complex formulations, lesser products are not inefficient. Other factors such as discounts offered and promotional sales by the company will affect the overall price range.
What We Reviewed
The following products made it on our best diaper rash cream list. The products were tested and met our quality standard threshold;
Aquaphor Baby Diaper Rash Cream
- For baby’s dry, chapped, irritated skin and teething or drool rash; Relieves diaper rash within 6 hours
- Clinically proven to restore smooth, healthy skin
- Uniquely formulated to allow oxygen to flow and help heal the skin
This baby healing ointment is easy to apply and boasts of a greasy feeling that is thick. Its main ingredients are glycerin and panthenol which helps heal a baby’s skin if it is irritated. It helps to treat a wide range of skin problems such as chapped skin and eczema.
- It can treat a wide range of skin problems
- It promotes healing
- Effective in moisture barrier
- Some ingredients used may be allergenic
- Has a greasy feel
- This bundle includes two 3 fl oz Babo Botanicals Natural Organic Oatmilk Calendula Diaper Rash Creams
- All-natural, organic and gentle diaper rash cream for newborns and babies is infused with essential oils to nourish your...
- Gentle and pediatrician-tested diaper rash ointment and diaper cream butt paste
The main feature worth noting about this cream is that it is made of 99.99% natural ingredients. Since it does not use a synthetic ingredient, it does not come cheap. To act as a moisture barrier, it uses Zinc oxide. Other ingredients used include sunflower oil, castor seed oil, Cera flavor, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Havenasativa.
- It is 99.99% organic hence safe
- Good packaging design
- It is effective and works as advertised
- It is natural
- It is an expensive product
- Has a very strong smell
- Contains allergenic ingredients
Balmex Diaper Rash Cream
One of the main features of this diaper rash cream is that pediatricians recommend it. This means it is safe for use by children. The product also boasts of being able to reduce redness within hours. Some main notable ingredient used to make this product include Vitamin E and Aloe. Unlike other popular best diaper rash creams, this product is not greasy.
- Treats rash quickly
- It is affordable
- Has a mild sweet smell
- It is recommended for chronic diaper rash
- Product may contain allergenic ingredients
- Not 100% organic
- There is a risk of buying fake products
Burt's Bees Baby Diaper Rash Ointment
- BABY DIAPER OINTMENT: Treat and prevent diaper rash in a safe, effective and natural way with this ointment that leaves...
- SOOTH SKIN: Made with 40% Zinc Oxide and Sweet Almond Oil, this maximum strength ointment helps calm and protect...
- BABY SKIN CARE: Enriched with shea butter, lavender oil and jojoba seed oil, this rash ointment naturally revitalizes...
The Burt’s Bee brand is known for its exceptional quality. This top diaper rash cream is safe to use on young babies as it uses 100% natural ingredients. One unique feature about this product is that it has no paraben, petrolatum or phthalates. Unlike other best diaper rash creams in the market, this product only uses 40% of Zinc oxide as part of its ingredient. It has been tried, tested and give the green light by pediatricians.
- It has a pleasant smell
- It is paraben free
- 100% natural
- Works as advertised
- Contains allergenic ingredients such as Lanoline
- Lacks the desired thickness
Boudreaux's Paste (Natural) Diaper Rash Cream
- Boudreaux's Maximum Strength Butt Paste contains 40 percent zinc oxide, 2x more rash fighting power than Original Butt...
- No harsh ingredients: Free of Dye, Paraben, Preservative, Phthalate, and Talc; Made with 6 simple ingredients designed...
- Boudreaux's Maximum Strength Butt Paste is a diaper rash paste that has the thickest barrier of protection when compared...
Unlike other best diaper creams on our list that are made by multinational companies using complex formulations and ingredients, this rash cream only has six major ingredients. The main ingredient is Zinc Oxide, which creates a barrier between a baby’s skin and an irritant. On top of Zinc Oxide, this product also comes with a medicinal scent.
- Developed by a pharmacist
- Has perfect thickness
- Works as advertised
- Contains allergenic ingredients such as petrolatum
- Not suitable for use with cloth diapers
Angel Baby Bottom Balm
- Earth Mama’s Organic Balm is now 100% USDA Certified Organic, made with ethically sourced organic beeswax that’s...
- Organic herbal ingredients traditionally used to help comfort and soothe diaper area and skin
- Dermatologist tested and clinically tested for irritation and chosen by hospital NICUs
Unlike other best diaper rash creams on this list, this cream does not use petrolatum or zinc oxide as part of its ingredient. It is made of 100% natural ingredients, and this ensures that it is safe for use on children. Unique ingredients include antifungal and antibacterial herbs. This clinically proven product can prevent and treat yeast rash. It also does not contain allergens such as beeswax and mineral oil.
- Boasts of antifungal and antibacterial properties
- Safe to use on cloth diapers
- It’s a natural product
- Older versions are better than the newer version
- Newer versions have texture inconsistencies
Weleda Calendula Diaper Rash Cream
- Relieves existing diaper rash and prevents new irritation from forming
- Pharmaceutical grade, nature-identical zinc oxide provides quick, effective relief
- Creates a soothing, protective barrier between moisture and skin
Unlike other creams on our list, this diaper cream is considered best for use on open sores. The cream is natural and only uses 12% zinc oxide in its formulation. While other best diaper rash creams on our list have fragrances or synthetic preservatives, this cream boasts of no synthetic preservatives.
- Contains only 12% zinc oxide
- Has no synthetic preservatives
- It is a natural product
- It boasts of anti-inflammatory properties
- Contains allergenic products such as beeswax
- Some products may be defective
Babyganics Diaper Rash Cream
- Gentle Natural and Plant-Based Ingredients including Zinc Oxide, Calendula, Aloe & Jojoba
- Helps treat and prevent diaper rash
- Exclusive 100% natural NeoNourish Seed Oil Blend to help nurture and support baby's skin
One of the main features of this best diaper rash cream is that it is tested by both dermatologists and pediatricians. Its ingredients are all natural and plant-based. Some ingredients used in the making of this product include zinc oxide, aloe, calendula and jojoba. These products make it effective in prevention and treating of diaper rash. One unique trait about this product is that it has never been used on animals and contains no paraben and artificial dyes.
- Contains no paraben
- Has never been tested on animals
- Product works as advertised
- It is a consistent product
- May burn the skin of some children
- The cream absorbs quickly
- The cream absorbs quickly
A&D Diaper Rash Ointment
This diaper rash cream is an oil-based ointment that is made of 53% petrolatum. Other ingredients used include lanolin that heals baby skin rash. Its oily nature makes it easy to apply and wipe off as it is not in the form of a thick paste.
- This product is effective
- Works well on both adults and children
- It prevents the skin from cracking
- Affordable product
- It contains allergenic ingredients such as petrolatum
- Has a fragrance
- Contains synthetic products such as petrolatum
Mustela Diaper Rash Cream 1 2 3
- Prevents, relieves and repairs signs of diaper rash
- 100% of pediatricians and dermatologists surveyed approve of the prevention action
- 80% reduction of irritation and redness from the very first use
Unlike other creams on this list, this is a European brand cream that boasts of major ingredients such as a capryl glycol and zinc oxide. The main reason these two ingredients are used is to act as a moisturizer. Another unique feature is that this best diaper rash cream is made of 98% plant-based ingredients. The cream works by soothing irritation that may have been caused by a diaper. The cream can often be desired as long as it is necessary. It should also be used during a diaper change.
- The product is effective
- It does not irritate the skin easily
- Simple but elegant packaging
- It does not work on all babies
- It is not 100% natural
All the products that made it on our top 10 best diaper rash cream list are worth your time and money. However, for them to be beneficial, you must choose one which best meets your immediate needs. For example; if the diaper rash is because of diarrhea, then the Aquaphor Baby cream is best for you. Where cloth Diapering is concerned, then the Angel Baby cream is best.