After a long day at work, the last thing anyone wants to do is work over a hot stove to feed yourself and your family. Eating takeout is sometimes a viable option, but a delicious, home-cooked meal almost always makes the struggles and stress of a tough work day melt away. A slow cooker allows you to have the best of both worlds, as you can put something in the pot either before you leave or right after you get home, go to work or relax, and come back to a perfectly cooked meal. If this sounds like something you need, then read on to find out the best slow cookers for you to make wonderful homemade meals every night.
Best Slow Cooker FAQs
Below we answered some frequently asked questions to help you understand what a slow cooker is and why they should be a staple in your home.
1. What Is A Slow Cooker?
The best slow cookers can cook various types of dishes (soups, stews, meats, etc.) slowly at a low temperature, meaning you can safely leave it unattended while your food gets cooked and come back once it is finished cooking.
2. What Does It Do?
The best slow cookers cook meals at a slow, even pace so that your food is cooked perfectly all the way through.
If you have ever thrown something into the microwave and had the top or outer edges come out piping hot while the inside remained cold, then you know how valuable the ability to cook something consistently all the way through is.
3. How Does A Slow Cooker Work?
The best slow cookers have a round or oval cooking pot made of glazed ceramic or porcelain and a lid made of glass or metal.
The unit, or housing that holds the pot, is usually metal with an electric heating element and cord to plug into an outlet. The lid sits on the top to give a low-pressure seal to the contents inside and heats food through the base and then steams through the condensation trapped inside.
4. Where Can You Buy The Best Slow Cookers?
A slow cooker can be found at any kitchen store or online. We provided links to our products below.
How We Reviewed The Best Slow Cookers
We reviewed these products based on consistency, reliability, durability, and affordability.
We worked hard to ensure you will be satisfied with the results of our best slow cookers and they will allow you to experience a nice, easy-to-make home-cooked meal every time.
Overall Price Range Of This Product (And Similar Products)
Slow cookers usually range from around $20 to $150+ depending on the size, materials used, quality of manufacturing and heat source.
Spending more will usually get you a slow cooker that can consistently handle larger quantities of food and be used frequently without breaking down.
If you plan on feeding four or more people regularly with your slow cooker, then spending the extra money is probably worth it to get a higher quality product which cooks more and lasts longer.
What We Reviewed
Featuring brushed stainless-steel and timer settings you can program to work with your busy schedule, this slow cooker is perfect for someone who wants to prep their meal before they leave for work and let it cook while away. You can unplug the cooker and take it with you to an event or family gathering and then plug it back in, as it keeps food warm even when it isn’t running. The lid is hinged, locks with easy-to-carry handles and features a sealed compression to keep it in place so nothing will spill out when you put it in your vehicle.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $50
- NOT YOUR MOM'S SLOW COOKER: Smart technology allows you to cook a recipe to either a desired cooking time or specific...
- PATENTED TEMPERATURE PROBE: Place the temperature probe into large cuts of meat to cook to a precise temperature. The...
- CLIP-TIGHT GASKET LID: The lid clips securely in place, perfect for taking the slow cooker to a party, potluck or...
This product takes the convenience of slow-cooked dishes to the next level as it is programmable so you will never need to stir or watch what’s in the pot.
The heating element wraps around to heat everything inside evenly once you select the temperature you want from warm, low or high.
When your food has finished cooking, it automatically goes into the warm mode, so you need not worry about overcooking your food or having it go cold.
- One touch switches modes when recipe calls for combination cooking
- Extra-large blue backlit LCD display with easy-to-read time and temperature settings
- Removable 6-quart nonstick aluminum cooking pot
The next slow cooker on our list can be used as a slow cooker, a steamer, or to brown or sauté. Made of stainless steel with black handles, it is more expensive than some other cookers on this list but is consistently a best seller.
It has lots of features, including a steam rack, dishwasher safe parts, three preset timers, and a scratch resistant pot.
At a maximum of 1500-Watts, this slow cooker uses a lot of energy at high heat, so, since many homes have 15-amp circuit breakers, we recommend not running other appliances on the same circuit.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $120
- 100% ALL NATURAL PALEO CERTIFIED STONEWARE INSERT: Naturally Non-stick, PTOA, PTFE and Coating Free for a Naturally...
- VERSATILE: The non stick all natural stoneware crock can be used over an open flame on the stovetop to simmer sauce,...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Perfect for the health conscious consumer as this slowcooker has none of the added chemicals found in...
The next product on our list is another versatile cooker that can be used to sauté over an open flame, put on an electric stove, go in the oven to cook roasts and is dishwasher safe.
The lid is made of tempered glass so you can see what’s cooking and it will almost never break.
You can refrigerate your leftovers in the stoneware bowl and reheat them in the microwave safely.
While it isn’t American made, it is PTOA- and PTFE-free and is one of the few 100% all natural slow cookers for sale.
- Duo, the number 1 selling multi-cooker, combines 7 kitchen appliances in 1, Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker,...
- Features 14 Smart Programs - Soup, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry, Sauté/Simmer, Rice, Multigrain, Porridge, Steam,...
- Healthy, stainless steel (18/8) inner cooking pot made from food grade 304, no chemical coating, 3-ply bottom for even...
Our next product is perfect for those looking to cook in a small kitchen as it is the most versatile cooker on our list.
Unlike the other products, it does more than just steam, slow cook, and brown/sauté your food: it’s a slow cooker, an electric pressure cooker, a skillet for sauteing food, a steamer, a yogurt maker and a rice cooker.
It also has a delayed programmable start time which is a feature you don’t get with many other slow cookers on the market today.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $80.
- 8.5 quart removable stoneware pot
- Ultimate cooking control with a programmable timer up to 20 hours
- Convenient low | high | keep Warm settings
Featuring a timer digitally programmable to 20 hours and a brushed stainless-steel housing, this pot has removable stoneware that can be taken to the table, stored in the refrigerator and then reheated in the microwave.
Prepare an assortment of foods, including pot roasts, chili, soups, rice pudding and other desserts with this deep slow cooker.
With its low, high and ‘keep warm’ settings, you can go away and it will make dinner and keep it warm for when you return. The lid is made of durable tented glass, and it has cool-to-the-touch plastic handles and lid knob.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $60.
- Adjustable temperature control (5 settings)
- 5-Quart versatile nonstick cooking pot
- Light duty nonstick griddle. 210 Watts, 120 volts, AC only
This product is designed differently than the other slow cookers on our list as the heating element is at the base and doesn’t cover the entire cooking vessel.
Instead, it warms the bottom and lets the heat travel all the way up the sides for even cooking.
Despite the difference, this slow cooker delivers excellent results, and because of its unique design, you can use the base as a griddle.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $60.
- Multi-functional use - whether you are in the mood for a hearty jambalaya, steamed veggies and rice, or even a fluffy...
- Nutritious & delicious - the built-in steamer function allows for nutrient-rich meals to be prepared above while rice,...
- Capacity & Dimensions - The ARC-914SBD is an 8-cup cooked capacity yielding anywhere for 2 to 8 cups of cooked rice and...
From a set of versatile cookers to one with a more specific purpose, our next product has a 15-hour delay timer and will slow cook and steam white and brown rice perfectly.
You can cook rice of any type from four to twenty cups, and it can also handle quinoa, porridge, oats, grits, and cereals.
It is completely BPA free and will simultaneously cook vegetables and meat while the rice is cooking below.
- Crock-Pot and Belkin, the innovator of WeMo, bring you a state-of-the-art slow cooker that's designed to provide remote...
- Adjust cooking time, temperature, shift to warm, or turn appliance on and off using the WeMo App from your smart device,...
- High and Low temperature settings, with Warm feature
If you are scared to leave food cooking while you are away, these are the best slow cookers for you.
With Crock-Pot’s WeMo app, you can monitor and control your Smart Slow Cooker while you’re away from home by checking the status of the cooker, adjusting the temperature and time and receiving notifications once the meal is finished, or when the appliance has turned off.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $150.
The last product on our list is designed for those looking at slow cookers on a budget.
At under $20, this cooker features a 4-quart pot with one dial you can turn to control the settings: off, keep warm, low and high.
The stoneware and glass lid are removable and dishwasher-safe.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $20.
These best slow cookers for you depends on what you want to do with it.
If you are looking to consistently feed a family of four or more every night, then we would recommend the Crock-Pot SCCPVL605-S as it gets the job done every time, is made of high-quality parts and has all the settings you need to prepare a myriad of different meals. However, if you are just looking to cook for yourself, then the Proctor-Silex 33043 4-Quart Slow Cooker is consistent and reliable despite its low price point, making it perfect for anyone living alone or with only their significant other.
If any of our best slow cookers interest you, follow the links provided and enjoy an easy and amazing home-cooked meal today.