Many people want to know what laundry detergent smells nicest and lasts longest. From fresh air and citrus to lavender and eucalyptus, popular detergent manufacturers focus on adding a wide range of scents to their products. They use plant-based formulas and natural oils, guaranteeing that a good smelling detergent is also non-toxic and safe for children. After carefully analyzing hundreds of products and customer reviews, we’ve finally nailed down 10 of the best smelling laundry detergent options on the market.
Whether it is a natural, hypoallergenic, liquid, or powder product you are looking for, this article will help you find the best smelling laundry detergent out there according to your fragrance preferences. If you ever asked yourself what is the best smelling laundry detergent, read on to see what laundry detergent will make your clothes smell incredible.
What Is the Best Smelling Laundry Detergent?
11. Grab Green Natural 3-in-1 Laundry Detergent Pods, Lavender with Vanilla
This ultra-concentrated laundry detergent has one of the softest and most appealing scents in the world which makes it one of the best smelling laundry detergent. The fragrance is made from essential oils derived from lavender, patchouli, lavandin, and eucalyptus. Aside from the delightful smell that will persist on your clothing, one added advantage is that this product has a non-toxic formula, and is free of phosphates, chlorine, and dyes. It is also cruelty-free, which makes it one of the most ethically responsible brands out there.
You can use this laundry detergent both with high-efficiency machines and standard machines, using any water temperature you like. However, keep in mind that when using cold water, the powder might not dissolve as fast.
- Not tested on animals
- 100% recycled bottles
- Highly concentrated – good for 75 loads
- May take a long time to dissolve in cold water
- It doesn’t work that well on grease stains
- Some customers report some of the pods may come cracked
- May leave a white residue on clothes
10. Method 8x Concentrated Laundry Detergent, Fresh Air
This is one of the strongest laundry detergents out there. It’s also one of the greenest detergents out there, having never been tested on animals, and coming in a 50% biodegradable bottle. It comes in three fragrance options: fresh air, lavender cedar, and no fragrance. The fresh air version was declared the best one by satisfied customers. Without being overpowering, the clean smell will last for a while! All fragrances are natural, and do not cause allergies. This detergent works even better in combination with the Method spray fabric softener.
You can use the detergent in cold water, as well as any temperature water, for the matter. It works in both high-efficiency and standard washing machines, and it enjoys the benefits of a smartclean technology that works to clean even the toughest of stains.
- Never tested on animals
- Recycled bottles
- Highly concentrated – good for 50 loads
- The scent is a bit heavy
- Some people might still be sensitive to this detergent
- You might need to wash some stains twice for them to completely come off
- The product doesn’t work that well on white clothes
9. Seventh Generation Concentrated Laundry Detergent, Geranium Blossoms and Vanilla
Containing no traces of synthetic fragrances, brighteners, or dyes, this cleaning product may not have the strongest smell, but it certainly is one of the best smelling laundry detergent options. An EPA Safer Choice certified product, it is also non-irritating, hypoallergenic, non-toxic, and safe for children. Its formula is biodegradable.
This Seventh Generation product is made almost entirely out of plants (it has just two synthetic ingredients). It boasts a triple-enzyme formula that guarantees its effectiveness in high-efficiency and standard washing machines. The essential oils that are part of its composition give this detergent a very pleasant and light smell. While the blue eucalyptus & lavender, and citrus fragrances are also very pleasant, it’s the geranium blossoms and vanilla that takes the cake.
- Not irritating on the skin
- Ultra-concentrated detergent – good for 53 loads
- Not tested on animals
- Plant-based ingredients
- Not very efficient with cleaning hard stains
- Does not fully maintain the brightness of the colors
- The scent of the product may change in time
- The detergent is quite pricey
8. Ecover Laundry Liquid 2.5X Concentrated Zero
If this is an article about the best smelling laundry detergent out there, why is a detergent that has no fragrance included here? Because the lack of fragrance makes the clothes smell clean and fresh afterward. Ecover is not only a very qualitative laundry detergent, but also non-toxic and suited for sensitive skin.
Its 2.5x concentration makes it more effective than any leading brand, and it can keep colors bright without any optical brighteners. It has no phosphates, no chlorine, and no fragrance whatsoever. Its ingredients are based on plants and minerals, and the product has not been tested on animals.
One of my best finds recently is Ecover washing up liquid – in a bottle made from 10% ocean… https://t.co/RtVSdARz3x
— Malieka (@misswaterlily) July 20, 2017
- Plant and mineral-based ingredients
- Not tested on animals
- Phosphate and chlorine-free
- Cleans well
- No actual smell, just a scent of freshness
- You might needs to use more product that the amount recommended on the label
- Some people have reported their clothes smelling weird after using it
7. The Laundress Signature Detergent, Classic
This unique laundry detergent has a romantic fragrance to it, that incorporates lily of the valley, jasmine, citrus, and sandalwood. With this delicate combination of aromas, you will feel like you’ve just stepped out of a Jane Austen novel. It works great with both cotton and delicate fabrics such as silk or cashmere.
The detergent’s formula is created to preserve the color of your clothes, as well as whiten and brighten them. The Laundress is biodegradable, non-toxic, and free of allergens. It is also highly concentrated, and it will last you up to 64 washes.
Sadly, I can’t afford to splurge on it anymore, but omg @TheLaundressNY No. 10 is the best smelling laundry detergent of all time.
— ana xjor (@anaxjor) April 25, 2017
- Brightens and preserves colors
- Exquisite scent
- Good for sensitive skin
- Phosphate-free and biodegradable
- You need quite a bit of product to clean clothes efficiently
- The scent lingers in the washing machine, which may be unpleasant
- The product can be messy, since you use the cap as a measuring device
6. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Laundry Detergent, Lavender
Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day is a naturally fresh, phosphate-free detergent. It contains a lot of surfactants from plants, as well as essential oils, and it is compatible with most washing machines. It can also be used as a very effective stain pre-treater, making sure that stains will be a memory of the past. You’ll generally only have to use one tablespoon for every standard load, but it’s the wide array of very pleasant fragrances that make this detergent a contender for the position of best smelling laundry detergent. All fragrances are long-lasting, while the scent is light and natural.
I love the smell of my laundry detergent: Meyer*s Clean Day- Lemon Verbena. It is a naturally derived product…
— Kris Putrelo (@KrisPutrelo) April 22, 2015
- Aromatherapeutic properties
- Delicate scent of lavender
- Cleans towels effectively
- Cleans well in cold water
- The smell is not highly persistent
- Not very efficient with hard stains
- The bottle design makes it difficult to pour from
- The product is quite expensive
5. Arm & Hammer Liquid Laundry Detergent, Clean Burst
Even though Arm & Hammer technically has no fragrance, its Clean Burst aroma somehow makes your clothes emit a smell reminiscent of a burst of clean, fresh air. Many customers praise the scent of this laundry soap as being pleasant and long-lasting. The special agents in its composition trap the soil in the wash water, making sure it doesn’t deposit on your clothes again.
You can use this laundry detergent with both high-efficiency and standard washing machines, and the product is safe for septic tanks. A bottle of Arm & Hammer liquid laundry detergent is good for 140 loads.
I’m very particular about laundry scents. The only one I can stand is arm and hammer. You don’t smell it at all once the clothes dry.
— I’m Fine (@NamesPeoplePlay) June 13, 2017
- Inexpensive (one bottle is enough for 140 loads)
- Does not contain any phosphate
- Persistent scent
- Brightens white clothes
- The container design has a defect, which will cause it to deform (product may leak from the bottle)
- The scent smells a bit artificial
- Some people might be allergic to it
4. All Small and Mighty Free and Clear Laundry Detergent
Perhaps one of the most unique laundry detergents out there, All Small and Mighty has a special ability, aside from being completely free of dyes and perfumes. All Small and Mighty can remove two of the biggest and most common everyday allergens – cat dander and mite matter. Because it is free of perfumes, it actually gives your clothes a very clean and fresh smell, making for a very effective laundry detergent. Plus, it is affordable too!
Thank you All Small and Mighty for making my laundry smell fresh and like a Spring Meadow. ” data-pagespeed-url-hash=”2888621272″ />” data-pagespeed-url-hash=”139248217″ />” data-pagespeed-url-hash=”594327578″ />” data-pagespeed-url-hash=”1404732705″ />” data-pagespeed-url-hash=”1183327420″ />” data-pagespeed-url-hash=”1909610668″ />
— Mac (@MacKenzieRMyers) December 3, 2012
- Powerful cleaning product
- Effective packaging
- The scent is not highly noticeable
- The product is a bit pricey
3. Tide PODS 3 in 1 HE Turbo Laundry Detergent Pacs, Original Scent
One of the most renowned and easily recognizable laundry detergents in the world, Tide has well earned its right as the number three best smelling laundry detergent. The good news is that you only need about a third of the quantity you’d need for other detergents.
While it does come in more fragrances than this one, the Tide Pods Original scent is definitely the best. It is a mild, yet memorable aroma, smelling of citrus and green floral. It is almost impossible to be near somebody who used the detergent and not think of a clear summer day in the mountains. This laundry detergent will make your clothes smell really nice and fresh!
her hair reminded me of tide laundry detergent……..
— flower boy” data-pagespeed-url-hash=”1183327420″ /> (@kipulis) July 12, 2017
- Extremely efficient cleaning product – good at removing most stains
- Highly concentrated
- It works in extremely hot water as well
- Not eco-friendly
- Not recommended for sensitive skin
- They may not dissolve properly in some washing machines
- May leave marks on some clothes
2. Gain Flings, Original
Satisfied customers have spoken. Gain has taken the mantle of the second best smelling laundry detergent, even overtaking some of America’s most popular detergent brands. According to the detergent’s own marketing campaign, it smells so good it can make laundry exciting.
Also advertised as music for your nose, the pods have 50% more Gain smell ingredients than the liquid variety. The brilliant, clean, fresh smell hits you the instant you open the packet, and it stays with you for a long while. You can combine the Gain Original scent with that of the liquid fabric softener, giving birth to your own new, exciting aroma. Or you can just enjoy the refreshing Gain aroma that so many people love.
Gain really the best laundry detergent ” data-pagespeed-url-hash=”2057921317″ /> I washed clothes a week ago I’m pulling stuff out my dresser shit smelling like I just washed it
— Lahivy ” data-pagespeed-url-hash=”1404732705″ /> (@OhSoRaa_) July 17, 2017
- Highly persistent smell
- Great at removing stains
- Washes clothes without leaving a mess
- Scent may be overpowering
- May leave residue on clothes
- The scent can feel a bit too artificial
1. Gain Liquid Laundry Detergent, Lavender Scent
The best smelling laundry detergent on our list is another Gain product, this time a liquid one. In fact, most people who complain that the Gain pods do not dissolve properly recommend the liquid variety instead. We chose the lavender scent because it is one of the most popular ones, and because it will leave your clothes smelling fresh and clean, even after 2 weeks have passed.
This detergent’s cleaning power is also impressive and is the best laundry detergent to make clothes smell good. It removes dirt from all types of clothes, regardless of whether you use it in a high-efficiency machine or a standard one. Your clothes will make you feel like you are at the spa when you wear them, thanks to the strong lavender scent.
- Very nice smell
- Affordable price
- Works well on tough stains
- Does not tend to spark up allergies
- The container might leak
- The scent might be too overwhelming for some people
- The scent can feel a bit too artificial and chemical
Best Laundry Detergent to Make Clothes Smell Good: Summary
We hope that we’ve managed to help you find the best smelling laundry detergent out there for you. Because, as you most likely know, taste is personal, you might not enjoy any of the items on this list, or you might like all of them. Whether you’ll go for the strongest scented laundry detergent, or simply for the best laundry detergent smell is up to you. What is the best smelling laundry detergent in your opinion? Drop us a line in the form below!
Recommended Read: Best Laundry Stain Removers
Image source: Amazon